Radio Transmitting Station
(SAB Mar 1933:33; AB&E Feb 1934:16, 17, 19)
CAPE TOWN's new Radio Transmitting Station is a handsome modern building standing on fine open ground on the Milnerton-Ascot Road. It is modernistic in design, built of good wire-cut bricks and comprises a main machine hall; speech control rooms; store rooms and water-cooling tower. Some of. the features of the building are, the roof of reinforced concrete covered with cork grading and malthoid, which makes for a cool roof in summer and warm building in the winter, as the cork acts as insulator. The speech control room is rendered entirely sound-proof, the height of the main hall is over 20 feet (6.1m).
The setting out of the foundations and pits for cables, a very intricate matter in construction, has proved entirely successful.
A neat arrangement which enables three lots of windows to be opened or shut at the same time is accomplished by turning a crank handle.
A feeder house built of reinforced concrete with special insulating leads is part of the scheme. The floor is laid in parquet blocks on concrete screening.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.