Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Cape Provincial Administration Building
Cape Town, Western Cape

Frederick McIntosh GLENNIE: Architect
Jan Zeger SCHUURMANS STEKHOVEN: Architect
H VAN DER MERWE and PARTNERS: Architect

Date:1939 : 1975
Type:Provincial Buildings
Status:Extant
Street:Wale St


Click for larger map

33°55'26.48" S 18°25'06.03" E Alt: 37m
Click on map for Google Maps

See more photographs

The podium was designed by GLENNIE and SCHUURMANS STEKHOVEN in 1939 and the tower block was added in 1975, designed by H VAN DER MERWE & PARTNERS.

Wording on commemorative plaque:

Hier het van
1756 tot 1761
J.N. Von DESSIN
gewoon wie se boekery
deur sy erflating die eerste
Openbare Biblioteek
in Suid-Afrika
geword het

Translation:
From 1756 to 1761 J.N. Von DESSIN lived here whose library by his bequest became the first Public Library in South Africa

(SAB Dec 1939:62; SA Archt Jun 1939:91, 94; SA Archt Aug 1940:177)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Cole, DI. 2002. The building stones of Cape Town : a geological walking tour. Cape Town: Council for Geoscience. pg 41-43
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 100
Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 195 item 64.1
Walker, Michael. 2011. A Statement In Stone. Cape Town: Privately published by Michael Walker. pg 33