Wellington Fruit Growers building
Frederick McIntosh GLENNIE: Architect
33°55'27.54" S 18°25'21.36" E Alt: 40m
|See more photographs|
Designed in 1902 by BAKER and MASEY for D Isaacs and Company. Drawings found in BAKER's offices show a building of five floors with the signage 'D Isaacs Furniture'. The second, third and fourth floors are fine three bay terracotta colonnaded frontage with steel and timber windows and a decorated cornice broken at the centre with cherub head and escutcheon. The terracotta ornaments were done by the Doulton Company of Lambeth. The existing building has 'Wellington Fruit Growers 1934 Ltd' on the front facade which leads one to think that the building must have been sold at that time and the signage changed. The extensions, fifth to seventh floors, were done in the 1930s and are ascribed to GLENNIE. They are painted in red ochre, or plastered to match the terracotta. The fifth floor was originally gabled.
(Rennie 1978:212; Picton-Seymour 1977:94; Crump et al 1988:30)
Writings about this entry