Sun Insurance Co Building - Sun Building
LOUIS KAROL ASSOCIATES: Architect 1990
Click to view large map
(SAB Feb 1928:51)
BUILT in reinforced concrete construction on solid rock foundation, this building rises to eight storeys. Part of basement utilised as an electric sub-station for the municipality. Feature of the building is the Arcade connecting St. George's Street with Greenmarket Square. Two fast passenger lifts. Shops on ground floor throughout, including the Arcade, remaining floors for offices, excepting the sixth floor which is used as club premises, and is excellently arranged for the Junior Civil Service Club.
The roof was originally intended to be used as an open-air Tea Garden, but at present is occupied by the caretaker whose quarters are situated on one portion of this floor. The main roof is covered with patent air-cooling bricks on top of special roofing.
All floors are covered with rubber flooring designed to suit each room or suite.
The building is practically fireproof, having very little woodwork in it excepting the doors and surrounds.
The top portion of the building is designed so as to incorporate the insignia of the Company, which can be illuminated at night.
Now  known as the Protea Assurance Building. Accommodates the offices of Heritage Western Cape.
It was extended by Louis KAROL. (Muwanga 1998:24-27).
(Information provided by Ashley Lillie, submitted by William MARTINSON)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry