Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

House Galpin: Tower house, (now the Observatory Museum)
Grahamstown, Eastern Cape

Henry Carter GALPIN: Architect

Date:1850
Type:Homestead
Style:Victorian
Status:Extant
Street:Bathurst St


Click for larger map

33°18'35.83" S 26°31'45.45" E
Click on map for Google Maps

See more photographs

Aka The Observatory built by Henry Carter Galpin Houses the Camera Obscura. Galpin (owner & buillder) helped to identify the first diamond discovered in South Africa (the Eureka). Proclaimed: 1980 03 07. Reproclaimed: 1992 06 04.

In 1982 the house was restored by GOLDBLAT, YUILL & PARTNERS for which they received a SAIA Award of Merit.

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 103-104 ill
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 113 ill