House Anton van Wouw - Now Museum
Click to view map
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 23 June 1989.This house dating from 1938 was built for the famous sculptor Anton van Wouw and is an example of Norman Eaton’s romantic, organic designs. The thatch roof overhang provides shade for the windows, the face brick finish is typical of the materials that Eaton liked to use in his designs and the house was designed to blend well with nature. It was later used as the Anton van Wouw Museum when the Rembrandt Group, under the direction of Dr Anton Rupert, provided the funds to the University of Pretoria to acquire the house in 1974. The museum is currently on the University of Pretoria’s main campus.
(Aouth African History Online, accessed 2021 06 23)
Now a Provincial Heritage Site.
These notes were last edited on 2021 06 23
Writings about this entry