University of Pretoria Transvaal University College Building (Ou Lettere Gebou / Old Arts Building)
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT: Architect
Click to view large map
Old Arts Building
Also variously ascribed to G LEITH and JS CLELAND (Restorica Oct 1983:37; FRIBA nom papers 1925), both worked for the PWD at the time and possibly worked on the building but it is unlikely that either would have had any design input.
The beautiful sandstone building with its clock tower, Oregon pine floors and slate staircases was the first building to be completed on the campus of what was then the Transvaal University College.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry