25°44'44.81" S 28°11'40.15" E Alt: 1318m
Click on map for Google Maps
Marks Building, also called Gundelfinger because he, a wholesale merchant, and Metro Cycle House, because they occupied a large part of it.
The building is extant and has been incorporated into Sammy Marks Square.
Excerpt from a report by GM van der Waal of the Centre for SA Art and Architecture which was probably influential in saving the building.
- Is the only commercial and wholesale building of its style in the Transvaal and probably in the RSA;
- Is historical for art and an important illustration of the development of the architecture of Pretoria;
- Is the only surviving commercial building in the RSA comprising a row of identical small and prominent shops;
- Was an important commercial building of its time;
- Was for many decades a characteristic landmark and orientation point in the city centre;
- Is one of the most important buildings in Pretoria dating from this period;
- Is of pleasing aesthetic composition and finishes;
- Is built of good material and sturdy construction;
- The interior of timber creates a change to another orientation and the use is easy and reasonably simple;
(Extracted and translated from Restorica No 8:16)
Writings about this entry
|Jooste, Deon. 1980. Oudste gebou in Pretoria bedreig. Restorica. 8. pp 16|
|Allen, Vivien. 1971. Kruger's Pretoria: buildings and personalities of the city in the nineteenth century. Cape Town: Balkema. pg 156|
|Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J & Fisher, Roger C. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pg 201|
|Dunston, Lola & Dunston, Tom. 1975. Young Pretoria 1889-1913. Pretoria: Dunston. pg 28, 140, 148, 150 ill, 154, 158|
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.