William Hood GRANT: Architect
JONES and DAY: Architect
The hotel was originally built in 1887 designed by GM ALEXANDER, postcard right. At some stage pre 1916 there were extensive additions, as can be seen from the advertisement of that date on the right. In 1923 more additions were done to the design of WH GRANT (SAB Jun 1923:16). Further additions and alterations were done in 1936 by JONES & DAY (SAB Jun 1936:48) with RFR DAY probably being the design architect as he mentions it in his FRIBA nomination papers in 1944.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry