House CL Andersson: Dolobran
26°10'42.59" S 28°02'15.04" E
|See more photographs|
Dolobran was built in 1906 for Sir Charles Llewellyn Andersson, son of the famous explorer Carl Andersson. Andersson had amassed millions by speculation and brilliant accountancy. He was a prominent figure in the mining and financial world.
The mansion was towered and turreted in a romantic mixture of medievalism and Queen Anne Style. The Llewellyn Andersons rejected the original design by Herbert BAKER which was less elaborate. They considered the windows too small for the heat and bright light of Africa.
Dolobran is a two-storey building with many gables and a curious assortment of windows, some inlayed with stained glasswork. The interior is equally romantic with a particularly magnificent entrance hall with a double staircase leading to a broad landing lit by the most spectacular of the stained glass windows. The house was designed around this high central hall within the overall rectangular form of the ground floor plan. There is a variety of shapes in the rooms and bay windows, stoeps and verandahs. Most of the fittings, lamp brackets and chandeliers were art nouveau. The study is located in the octagonal tower. The retaining wall which raises the garden above Oxford Road had elaborate cast-iron railings that Sir Llewellyn salvaged during the demolition of the second Corner House. A fishpond, dove-cote and weather vane on the cupola put the finishing touches to Dolobran.
Transcription of the blue plaque:
ANGLO-BOER WAR 1899-1902 CENTENARY COMMEMORATIONS
Writings about this entry