|Date:||1908 : 1928||Type:||Station|
25°45'29.31" S 28°11'20.50" E Alt: 1352m
Click on map for Google Maps
|See more photographs|
David Alexander CROMBIE assisted with the drawings of this building.
In 1928 there was a small office building built on the eastern side of the station, architect unidentified.
On 19 February 2001, a signalling failure led to major delays to Metrorail services in Pretoria. Angered by the delays, some commuters set a fire in a waiting room which spread to the roof of the building, which caved in. Almost all of the roof was destroyed, although the structure itself was saved. The restoration, which cost 18 million rand, started in June 2001 and finished in February 2002. (Wikipedia)
On the wall of the station is a timber-framed information plaque.
Transcript of English section of plaque:
THIS BUILDING WHICH REPLACED
THE ORIGINAL N.Z.A.S.M. STATION
BUILDING (COMPLETED IN 1839) WAS
DESIGNED BY SIR HERBERT BAKER
AND ERECTED AT THE TIME OF
UNIFICATION OF THE FOUR PROVINCES
OF SOUTH AFRICA (1910) FROM
SURPLUS FUNDS OF THE GOVERNMENT
OF THE PROVINCE OF TRANSVAAL.
IT WAS TAKEN INTO USE ON 2ND.
Transcript of Afrikaans section of plaque:
HIERDIE GEBOU IS OPGERIG IN
DIE PLEK VAN DIE OORSPRONKLIKE
STASIEGEBOU VAN DIE N.Z.A.S.M.
WAT IN 1935 VOLTOOI IS. DIT IS
DEUR SIR HERBERT BAKER ONTWERP
EN MET DIE UNIFIKASIE VAN DIE VIER
PROVINSIES VAN SUID-AFRIKA (1910)
GEBOU MET GELD UIT SURPLUSFONDSE
VAN DIE REGERING VAN DIE PROVINSIE
VAN TRANSVAAL. DIE GEBOU IS OP
2 SEPTEMBER 1912 IN GEBRUIK GENEEM.
Writings about this entry
|Baker, Herbert. 1944. Architecture & personalities. London: Country Life. pg b&w photo opp 57, 57|
|Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J & Fisher, Roger C. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pg 126, 127, 130, 143|
|Greig, Doreen. 1970. Herbert Baker in South Africa. Cape Town: PURNELL. pg 167-172|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 170|
|Keath, Michael The Baker School: A Continuing Tradition 1902-1940: in Fisher, RC, Le Roux, SW and Maré, E (Eds). 1998. Architecture of the Transvaal: pp 82, 86, 87|