Elsenburg: Old Manor House restoration
People:John Stockwin CLELAND: Architect
33°50'52.21" S 18°50'11.95" E
Near Klapmuts is the farm of Elsenburg, named after Samuel Elsevier, second-in-command to Governor Simon van der Stel. However, Secunde Elsevier was one of the officials banished to Holland along with Willem Adriaan van der Stel. During the 10 years Elsevier had spent at Elsenburg, he built a simple house, where his son continued to live until his death in 1709.
It was Martin Melck who, during the latter half of the 18th century developed Elsenburg into one of the Cape's finest farms. In 1761 he enlarged the homestead to a U-plan, giving it impressive gables and a fine front entrance. This front door was removed by Sir Herbert Baker when, as RHODES' architect, he wished the beautiful entrance to adorn Groote Schuur. Unfortunately it was badly damaged when Groote Schuur burnt down and was then replaced by a copy. An outstanding and still remaining feature of the interior is the chimney panel, inlaid with ivory and ebony depicting the Prussian eagle, emblem of Melck's native land. The outbuildings of Elsenburg together with the tall bell tower, also date back to the time of Martin Melck, and perhaps most interesting of all, is the millstream, channelled between thick, wavy walls interspersed with piers of unusual design.
In 1898 Elsenburg was acquired by the Victoria College (now the University of Stellenbosch) as an agricultural college. Then in 1915 the homestead was gutted by fire and unfortunately when it was rebuilt and reroofed with red tiles, much of the fabric and character of the once beautiful house was lost.
(Picton-Seymour, 1989: 68)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.