||The most important grant in Hottentots Holland is made to Willem Adriaan van der Stel by Wouter Valckenier. It was about 400 morgen (342.52Ha). Van der Stel built the house. Read more
||By company orders the property was confiscated, divided into four parts and auctioned. Barend Gildenhuys bought the part with the house on it. Although the company had ordered the house to be demolished as setting an example of ostentation, probably only the back third was pulled down while the rest almost certainly remained unchanged until the time of the first rethatching, c1740.
||The first rethatching and probably at this stage the house was given the early-straight end gables.
||During the late 1770s the owner of the house was Jacob Malan, youngest son of Daniel Malan of Morgenster.
||Rudolph Johannes Loubser, who married Catharina Morkel, Malan's widow, must have been responsible for the front-gable which was probably done at the second rethatching.
||MW Theunissen (Die Held van Blouberg) acquired Vergelegen; he is traditionally credited with rebuilding some of the end-gables, though the present ones, holbol, seem earlier.
||A new wine cellar, the present library, is built.
||The property is bought by randlord Sir Lionel Phillips and Lady Phillips and restored.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
|Hartdegen, Paddy. 1988. Our building heritage : an illustrated history. South Africa: Ryll's Pub. Co. on behalf of the National Development Fund for the Building Industry. pg 22|
|Hatfield, Denis. 1967. Some South African monuments. Cape Town: Purnell. pg 16|
|Trotter, Alys Fane. 1928. Old Cape Colony. A chronicle of her men and houses from 1652 to 1806. London: Selwyn & Blount. pg 114, 116, 124 et seq.|
|Pearse, GE Fig. 35. Lay-out at Vergelegen: in Pearse, Geoffrey Eastcott. 1957. Eighteenth century architecture in South Africa: pp 46|