Bank of Africa Limited Building
Click to view map
Also known as African Bank and Kirkness Building.
Built in revivalist styling, housing the Bank of Africa at the time, but with the offices of KIRKNESS, hence its soubriquet, the Kirkness Building.
Later (1912) incorporated into the National Bank, thereafter South African Mutual, now part of the South African Postal Services.
The last building currently recorded project by the firm MILNE and SLADDIN, as official architects to the Bank of Africa, was the Bank of Africa Building on Church Square in Pretoria (1910) , a classical styled building reminiscent of English Palladian architecture. However the foundation stone bears the names of the brothers TA SLADDIN FRIBA and R SLADDIN FSI. The crest in the tympanum bears the initial BAL [Bank of Africa Limited] declaring its purpose, and these letters are repeated in the decorative wrought iron balustrades of the balconies. This was only appropriate for two years since the Bank was incorporated into the National Bank in 1912. Later the bank left and the premises taken over by the South African Mutual Bank as witnessed in the frosted glass of the lower windows. (Dunston 1975:40)
These notes were last edited on 2020 08 27
Writings about this entry