Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Netherlands Bank
East London, Eastern Cape

SIEMERINK and WALKER: Architect

Date:c1930
Type:Bank
Status:Extant
Street:Oxford/Union Sts

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
-33.016734,27.904731
33°01'00.24" S 27°54'17.03" E

Cumming-George 1933

This building, situated at the corner of Oxford and Union Streets, East London, was erected for the Netherlands Bank of South Africa.

The corner and the main portion of the ground floor are utilised by the owners for banking purposes. The remainder of the floor is occupied by two small shops. The first and second floors are entirely used for office accommodation.

The building, built on a concrete foundation, has a plinth of Kingwilliamstown blue mountain stone, while the ground floor is faced with Queenstown free stone. All external doors, windows, and shutters are of teak. The floors are of reinforced concrete and the building is covered with a corrugated asbestos roof.

The cost of the building is approximately £ 17,000.

Reinforcing Steel supplied and fixed: Reinforcing Steel Co., Ltd.
Lifts: Waygood-Otis (S.A.) Ltd.
Glazed Tiling and Klompje Bricks: Central Agencies & Import Co. (Pty.)

Now Nedbank.

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Cumming-George, L. 1933. Architecture in South Africa - Volume One. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pg 134