Sebastian Schreuder House
33°56'15.64" S 18°51'47.11" E Alt: 119m
Wording on National Monuments Council plaque
This Cape dwelling was built in 1709 by a German, Sebastian Schröder, free burgher, Secretary of the Public Mill and Messenger of the Court at Stellenbosch. The site of the house was the earliest street-corner in Stellenbosch and the building is the oldest known town dwelling in South Africa.
This is one of the few buildings to have survived the fire that swept through the area in 1710. Picton-Seymour 1989:62 claims this to be the second oldest dwelling after the Posthuys in Muizenberg.
The house is part of the Stellenbosch Village Museum, which comprises of four historical houses. Visit their website.
Writings about this entry