Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Gymnasium
Paarl, Western Cape

GWA (Rev.) VAN DER LINGEN: Architect

Date:1858
Type:School
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

33°43'58.35" S 18°57'44.64" E Alt: 123m
Click on map for Google Maps

The school was opened on 12 January 1858 with three teachers. The abundant Egyptian influence is attributed to the archaeological interests of VAN DER LINGEN, who's favourite pastime was deciphering hieroglyphs. There are many relief friezes depicting Egyptian figures. (Fransen 2004:258) In spite of being declared an Historic Monument the interior of the Gymnasium has suffered mutilation. There is little left of the fittings save for a few doors and the inside shutters. The ceilings have been obliterated by shoddy boarding and little remains to charm the eye. (Picton-Seymour 1977:141)


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 258
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pg 90
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 141