British High Commissioner's Office - Africa House
33°55'36.86" S 18°25'09.47" E Alt: 27m
(AB&E Dec 1937: 3)
Perry and Lightfoot were awarded the Cape Provincial Institute of Architects' Bronze Medal Award in 1937 for this building - the British High Commissioner's Office in Cape Town. When Stalplein and Parliament Street were closed as public thoroughfares by President P W Botha in the 1980s, the British government resisted efforts to have them vacate their premises. They therefore remained an independent pocket within the precincts of the South African Parliament. The building was finally sold to the Department of Public Works in 2003, extensively renovated in 2008-9 and renamed Africa House. Since then it houses the Protocol Office of Parliament.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.