Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

St John's Church
Central, Cape Town, Western Cape

John CALVERT: Design Architect
PENKETH and CALVERT: Architect

Date:1853/4-1857
Type:Church
Style:Early Gothic Revival
Status:Demolished
Street:c/o Long and Waterkant Streets

The church lost its congregation because of the Group Areas Act, leading to the land being sold and the church demolished in 1972. A new St John's church was built in Belgravia Rd, Crawford. Some items from the original church were installed here, including a few stained glass windows, the organ, baptismal font and brass sermon lectern. An office block called St John's Place was erected on the site of the original church. The building has had a few name changes and is currently (2020) called 9 Long St.

These notes were last edited on 2020 08 03


Writings about this entry

Gutsche, Thelma. 1970. The Bishop's Lady. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 138
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 113, 126, 189