Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

City Hall
East London, Eastern Cape

PAGE and CORDEAUX: Architect

Date:1897-1899
Type:Town Hall
Status:Extant

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
-33.014742,27.904183
33°00'53.07 S 27°54'15.06" E Alt: 61m

See more photographs

In 1893 the Town Council resolved to reclaim the vlei in Oxford Street known as 'Waterloo Square', and to erect a Town Hall on the site. Thirteen competitors submitted plans, and the adjudicator, D. GREATBATCH, M.S.A., of Kimberley, recommended the acceptance of that submitted by Edwin PAGE of East London. This plan was adopted after several alterations, and the present building, excellent in its proportions, was erected for £33,750. The foundation-stone was laid with Masonic honours on 20 Feb. 1897 by David Rees in his seventh year as mayor, and the building was officially opened on 5 Oct. 1899 by the new mayor, W. C. Jackson. It consists of an auditorium, complete with stage and dressing-rooms, seating 937 persons in the lower auditorium and 240 in the upper gallery. Adjoining the auditorium is the Minor Hall, used for dances, bazaars and receptions. The mayor's and mayoress's parlours, the council chamber and committee room and the town clerk's offices are all housed in the City Hall. (SESA 4:187)

(East London Mus 1989; East London dir cult & envirn 1989 1893, -9)


Writings about this entry

Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 117
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 220 ill
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 117 ill
Potgieter, DJ (Editor-in-chief). 1971. Standard Encyclopaedia of South Africa [SESA] Volume 4 Dev-For. Cape Town: Nasou. pg 187
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 15