Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Stoneyfields
Fort Beaufort district, Eastern Cape

Date:n.d.
Type:Fortified Farmhouse
Status:Extant

A romantic conglomeration of stone buildings consisting of the main house and sundry barns and outbuildings. At every strategic point the rugged walls were pierced for defence - contrasting strangely with the peaceful Georgian facade, with a verandah of woodwork looking out upon raised rectangular level garden, laid out in the formal Italian manner then so fashionable. There was a small walled-in back courtyard onto which the dairy and sheds opened, and which provided sheltered daylight to the rooms. The result was that on three sides of the house there were no visible windows, the only openings being a rare loophole and the heavy door to the yard. Parallel to the house and about 30 to 40 paces from it, was the long range of the barn, stables and farm sheds.

(Picton-Seymour, 1989: 116; Lewcock, 1963: 173)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 173-175
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 116