Click to view large map
1933 text from Cumming-George page 51.
ASTOR MANSIONS is situated on the corner of Von Brandis and Jeppe Streets and has a frontage of 50 ft. (15.24 meters) to both streets.
The ground floor consists of five shops, twd on Von Brandis Street and three on Jeppe Street. The entrance to the flats and offices is from Jeppe Street.
The professional offices on the first floor and the flats on the remaining floors are served, in addition to the usual stair, with two high-speed lifts.
The professional suites are of different sizes, being divided into two and three rooms consisting of general and private offices.
The flats range from single to two-room flats, each flat being self-contained with its own kitchen and bathroom.
The top floor consists of two flats along with a flat roof which is divided up into private roof-gardens for the flats and a public roof-garden which may be used by the flats on the lower floors.
All the flats are serviced with hot water supplied from a central heating system.
The total height of the building is 145 ft. (44.20 meters).
(SAB Aug 1931:23 ill; SAB Sep 1931:51, tend; Cumming-George 1933:50,51; Van der Waal 1987:206)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry