Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Huguenot Memorial Building
Cape Town, Western Cape

MILNE and SLADDIN: Architect
Thomas Arthur SLADDIN: Design Architect

Date:1900
Type:Offices
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

33°55'34.35" S 18°25'00.26" E Alt: 31m
Click on map for Google Maps

See more photographs

Transcription of the English section of the National Monuments Council plaque:

IN 1886 THE SYNOD OF THE DUTCH REFORMED CHURCH DECIDED
TO ERECT A BUILDING IN MEMORY OF THE FRENCH HUGUENOTS
WHO CAME TO THE CAPE IN 1688-1689. ITS PURPOSE WAS TO SERVE
AS SYNOD HALL, COMMITTEE ROOMS AND CHURCH OFFICES. IN 1897
THIS SITE WAS PURCHASED FOR THE PURPOSE. HOWEVER, THE
CORNER-STONE WAS LAID ONLY ON 24 AUGUST 1899 BY SIR
HENRY DE VILLIERS CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE CAPE COLONY. THE
BUILDING WAS INAUGURATED ON 15 OCTOBER 1903. THE MORTAL
REMAINS OF STATE PRESIDENT PAUL KRUGER LAY IN STATE
HERE FROM 1 TO 6 DECEMBER 1904 AFTER HAVING BEEN
RETURNED FROM THE NETHERLANDS.
National Monuments Council
1981

In 1978 it was the Department of Social Welfare and Pensions. (Rennie 1978:264)

(Sladdin FRIBA nom papers 1905)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Cole, DI. 2002. The building stones of Cape Town : a geological walking tour. Cape Town: Council for Geoscience. pg 45
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 107
Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 264-265 item 76.22