Long Street Baths
MacGILLIVRAY and GRANT: Architect 1926
33°55'38.33" S 18°24'50.45" E Alt: 33m
Transcription of sign at entrance to baths:
The Mayor of Cape Town, F W Smith opened these baths on the evening of 5 November 1908. The opening was followed by a gala by the Western Province Amateur Swimming Association. Designed by the City's engineering department this was the first municipal swimming pool in Cape Town. The pool was 100 x 45 feet (30,5 x 13,7 m). The baths included changing boxes, club room and slipper baths. The building incorporated part of Freemantle House facing Overbeek Square which was adapted as a caretaker's quarters. In 1926 the baths were extended to include Turkish baths, designed by the architectural firm MacGillivray and Grant.
(SAA&B Oct 1904:4)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry