Click to view map
26°12'21.23" S 28°02'28.19" E Alt: 1765m
The third Rand Club was built during the depression after the Anglo-Boer War at a cost of £112,000. During building operations the club was temporarily housed in the North Western Hotel. It replaced the Second Rand Club building.
Read Rand Club - A Grand Past with an Uncertain Future, an article by Kathy Munro on the Heritage Portal, Thursday, 3 September, 2015.
Inscription of Blue Plaque:
JOHANNESBURG CITY HERITAGE
The historic Rand Club has called 33 Loveday
Street home since 1887, one year after the founding
of Johannesburg. This is the third clubhouse to occupy
the site, modelled on London's Reform Club by the
architects Leck and Emley and constructed in 1904.
The Club set the stage for pivotal moments in
Johannesburg history, and has hosted royalty
and international dignitaries since the
inception of the golden city.
(SAAE&S Jnl Aug 1907:192-93; Rand Club 1957:69; Planning 77 Dec/Jan 1985/6:11)
These notes were last edited on 2021 11 08
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Chipkin, Clive M. 1993. Johannesburg Style - Architecture & Society 1880s - 1960s. Cape Town: David Phillip. pg 41 ill, 42, 151|
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 133, 135 ill|
|Neame, LE. 1957. The Rand Club 1887-1957. Johannesburg: Rand Club. pg 60-88|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 337 ill, 339, 343, 347|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 153 ill|
|Praagh, LV. 1906. Transvaal and its mines : the encyclopedic history of the Transvaal. London: Praagh & Lloyd. pg 252 ill|
|van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pg 122, 123 ill|