St Martini Lutheran Church
Extant but re-located to the Big Hole Museum.
Oldest existing church in Kimberley.
The German Lutheran Church of St Martini is the oldest existing church building in Kimberley and was erected in 1875 in Thompson Street, having been brought to the diamond fields from Port Elizabeth by ox wagon. The last service in this building was on 3 February 1963. The first minister was the Reverend Carl Meyer. Thereafter it was donated to the Mine Museum in 1964. It contains all its original fittings, and is available for weddings. The workbench and tools used by August Müller in the church’s construction are at the rear of the church. (Kimberley City Info, accessed 2018 01 23)
Writings about this entry