Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Jeppestown, Johannesburg, Gauteng

KALLENBACH and REYNOLDS: Architect

Date:1907
Type:Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
26°12'06.02" S 28°04'10.27" E Alt: 1759m

Op 5 Mei 1906 lê genl. Koos de la Rey die hoeksteen van die karaktervolle, nuwe kerkgebou op die hoek van Corrie en Op-de-Bergenstraat, Fairview, wat die amptelike webtuiste van Johannesburg se stadsraad beskryf as "een van die stad se mooiste kerke". Die gemeente het gebou amptelik op 26 Januarie 1907 ingewy. Die kerkgebou is op 9 Maart 1973 tot Nasionale Gedenkwaardigheid verklaar en die ou kerk waarskynlik op 5 November 1976.
(Morné van Rooyen 2015)

On 5 May 1906 Gen. Koos de la Rey laid the cornerstone of the characteristic, new church building on the corner of Corrie and Op-de-Bergen Streets, Fairview, which the official website of the Johannesburg City Council describes as "one of the city's most beautiful churches". The community officially inaugurated the building on 26 January 1907. The church building was declared a National Monument on 9 March 1973 and the old church probably on 5 November 1976.

(SAAE&S Jnl Feb 1907:81)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pg 150