HUDACO House - National Union of Mineworkers Head Quarters
Click to view map
Built in 1934 for Hubert Davies and Company (HUDACO) which imported, manufactured and installed engineering equipment and machinery for industry and the mines throughout Southern Africa. Founded in 1894 by J Hubert Davies a consulting engineer from Scotland who had come to the Rand in1889, the company's first big projects were the electrification of various mines.
The strong vertical lines of the building build up to the dramatically sculpted corner tower with the simple straight lines of the beamed entrance to an Egyptian temple. This structure accommodates the lift motor rooms.
Text provided by the Johannesburg Heritage Foundation, 2021.
(William Martinson, August 2021)