Railway Station - Now Museum
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
Old Uitenhage Railway Station dates back to the days of the Port Elizabeth and Uitenhage Railway Company Ltd, one of the Cape's early railway links. Work on the tracks was completed on 24 July 1875, and on 21 September of the same year, the line was officially opened by John X Merriman, the Commissioner of Crown Lands.
Uitenhage Railway Station was built in the true tradition of a Victorian country station building, a "cottage orné" with Gothic trappings and frills of woodwork. No longer in use as a station, this delightful folly has been restored and adapted as a Transport Museum.
(Picton-Seymour 1989: 102-103)
Now the Old Railway Station Museum, visit the Museum website.
Writings about this entry