House Stanley Marks
Click to view large map
The house was one of several along this stretch of Bird Street bought by the University of Port Elizabeth when it was first established. Unlike many of the others it remained unaltered and was later sold to Prof Danie THERON, when he became Professor of Architecture at the university in 1980. According to Margaret Harradine the house replaced an earlier wood and iron house, which included a pair of cottages to the rear facing Cuyler Street. One of these still remains and was used as "The Cuyler Street Gallery" set up and run by Tossie Theron (wife of Danie) during the 1990s and 2000s. The Theron's finally retired to the Western Cape and the house was sold.
In 2015 the house was used as a children's nursery and the art gallery as a coffee shop. The latter has since closed.
(Gerald Humphrey, March 2017)
(SAB Sep 1924:29)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.