The sculptures were done by James GARDNER. The building was located between the Mosenthal and Company and the Reserve Bank on Market Square. It was demolished in 1974.
THIS BUILDING is an office block facing Market Square, Port Elizabeth, erected for Sir Lewis Richardson, Bart.
The colonnade of the ground floor is carried out in Paarl granite, and the massive piers terminating the elevation, the balconette, and the cornices and sculpture are of Oudtshoorn sandstone - yellowish brown in colour.
At each entrance to the colonnade steps are bronze gates, and a bronze railing between the columns of delicate design.
The sculpture pieces in high relief at the terminals of the top storey represent Commerce and Industry.
The ground floor is wholly used as his office by Sir Lewis Richardson, and is liberally laid out with reception room, board room, private office and general office, all panelled in oak, with a marble and concrete stair leading to the upper floors. The lift serves all floors.
The roof is of Roman tiles.
(SAB Jul 1923:33 ill)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry