Harbour Board Offices
John Weir RUSHMERE: Restoration Architects 1999
33°57'43.95" S 25°37'30.11" E
|See more photographs|
Won in competition (NM)
Oberholster 1972 attributes the building to Jones, McWilliams, Brown and Grosse.
The Harbour Board building, also known as the White building was built in 1904. The architecture, woodwork, staircase and ceiling make it on of the best examples of buildings in the Art Nouveau style in South Africa. (National Monuments Council plaque 1978)
(SAA&B Aug 1905: 213-15 ill; SAB Dec 1924:13 ill; SAAR Jul 1946:185)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry