House Sereld Hay - Luncarty
Franklin Kaye KENDALL: Design Architect
Click to view map
Large house with Cape Dutch Revival style gable in Upper Holly Street, Newlands, Cape Town in close proximity to Kirstenbosch. Designed by Francis Kendall for the Hon. Commander Sereld Hay of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, South African Division.
Hay sold the property to Edith Struben, a South African botanical illustrator and painter, who took occupation of 'Luncarty' in 1920 and lived there until her death in 1936.
Well known South African artist Hendrik Pierneef did a fine water colour painting of the house, terraced garden and mountain background in the 1920's.
In 1939 the house was in the ownership of Mr and Mrs Lancelot Ussher, when it formed the subject of a detailed illustrated article in the Country Life magazine of 9th September 1939.
William Martinson, January 2020.
These notes were last edited on 2020 01 21
Writings about this entry