Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Palm Tree Mosque / Jan van Bougies Mosque
Cape Town, Western Cape

Date:c.1825
Type:Mosque
Style:Cape Georgian
Style:Vernacular Style
Status:Extant
Street:Long Street

Recognized as the second oldest mosque at the Cape, this status acquired from its use by Jan van Bougies, a freed slave, for whom it is named, as a 'Langar' (Indonesian= 'Prayer Room'), thus granting it mosque status. It is a treasured heritage of the Cape Muslim community, as its symbolizes the establishment of the Islamic faith at the Cape.


Writings about this entry

Cohen, Ronald. 2015. Cape Town : a study in watercolours. Cape Town: Fernwood Press. pg s.p.
Davids, Achmat. 1980. The Mosques of Bo-Kaap - A social history of Islam at the Cape. Athlone, Cape: The South African Institute of Arabic and Islamic Research. pg 21, 41, 51, 54, 56, 101, 105, 114-126, 138, 142, 157
Martin, Desmond. 2007. Walking Long Street. Cape Town: Struik. pg 74 ill., 75
Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 259 Item 76.2