War Department Boundary Marker Stone No. 16
Click to view large map
From the late 1700's until 1955, the Naval Base at Simonstown fell under the responsibility of the British Royal Navy. The extent of the Naval Base precinct was (over time) defined with War Department (WD) Boundary Marker Stones. Various of these stone markers survive in-situ as a significant element of the layered history of the Simonstown Naval Base.
War Department Boundary Marker Stone No. 16 is cut from lightly veined, grey granite and carefully dressed into a rectangular block with a flat top and champhered corners. The font face of the marker stone has the following inscription carved into the front face: 'W D' (separated with a broad arrow) over 'No. 16'. The broad arrow is a stylised representation of a metal arrowhead with a tang and two barbs meeting at a point.
The so-called Simonstown Agreement was signed on 30 June 1955, following which the Simonstown Naval Base was handed to South Africa and it now resorts under the control of the South African Navy.
(William MARTINSON, September 2019)