Druid's Lodge Museum
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
A rectangular thatched house, two rooms deep with clipped ends. The house must have been one of the earliest in Robertson. There is rustication at the corners and round the openings [visible on the remaining section]. The house, which dates from c1855, in 1883 became the property of WHD English, who gave it its name. It remained English property until 1976. (Fransen 2004: 406))
Declared a National Monument in 1978, now a Provincial Heritage Site.
2019: The museum is a ruin, in September 2014 a section of wall collapsed while they were doing renovation work. It was undergoing restoration, so all the contents had been removed and stored. They were waiting for a structural report from an engineer on how to stabilise the walls, but before that arrived, it fell in. They think the walls were probably pretty weak from rising damp, but we are not sure of the cause.
Writings about this entry