26°11'51.65" S 28°03'05.11" E Alt: 1741m
Kensington Flats, built in 1897 in Noord Street (now Sophie de Bruyn Street), is hidden between the train lines and the Nugget Street Bridge. It was near the original Marist Brothers College in Koch Street and later, next door to St. Margaret's School, and provided housing for teachers who came to South Africa from the U.K. The cast-iron pillars and balcony came from the famous Walter MacFarlane's Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. Today, the ground floor is home to a pharmacy and doctor's rooms while the first floor is for residential accommodation.
(Submitted by Marc Latilla)
Writings about this entry