Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
The Anglo-Boer War ended with the Peace of Vereeniging on May 31, 1902. One of the consequences of the was the number of boer orphans. These orphans were not enrolled in either of the two existing schools in Heidelberg because both were under English control (government schools). Ds. AJ Louw made the basement of the Klipkerk (also known as the "Cave of Abdullam") available as a classroom with Miss. Anna Basson and Katie Human as teachers.
The increase in learners made a school building necessary. This was made possible by the donation of money and a large property by the brothers D. and W. Bezuidenhout and their brother-in-law C. Meyer. The foundation stone was laid on October 27, 1906, by Gen. Schalk Burger. The dedication took place on January 11, 1907, and on January 15, 1907, the building was commissioned.
(Translated from Hoër Volkskool Heidelberg website, accessed 2020 03 13)
See also Laer Volkskool website.
Transciption of National Monuments Council Plaque:
These notes were last edited on 2020 03 17