Click to view large map
The memorial, which commemorates the contribution which horses made during the Second Boer War of 1899-1902. A life size bronze of a horse about to drink from a bucket of water being offered by kneeling soldier. A statue is set on a heavy granite base incorporating drinking fountains and a trough for horses. Designed by Joseph Whitehead and cast in bronze by the Thames Dillon Works, in Surrey. It was first located on Park Drive at the intersection with Rink street and was unveiled on 11 February 1905. It was relocated in 1957 to its current location on the corner of Cape Road and Rink Street. Sadly, in April 2015 it was vandalized as it was mistakenly believed to a political monument from the apartheid era. It was declared a National Monument on 15 July 1983 and is now a Provincial Heritage site.
(Gerald Humphrey, 2017)
Photos by Gerald Humphrey 2015, shortly before it was vandalized.