Old Nectar - Nektar
Click to view large map
The land around Old Nectar, then encompassing most of the Jonkershoek Valley, was granted to two freed slaves, Jan and Marquard van Ceylon, in 1692. Although the archives record the subsequent divisions and sale of the land, there are no known records of building on this site. However, from architectural studies it appears that the original homestead dates back to the early 1700s. Subsequent changes were made in the early 1800s, including the adding of the magnificent Neo-Classical front gable, dated 1815.
The farm changed hands several times and had different names through the years: Glenconner, Nektar and Glen Vashti. In 1941 it was bought by General Kenneth and Mrs Una van der Spuy, who renamed it Old Nectar.
Una van der Spuy, who passed away at the age of 99 in 2012, was internationally known for her superb garden and nursery at Old Nectar, as well as for her many books on gardening. Today Old Nectar remains in the van der Spuy family and the Old Nectar gardens tradition continues.
From the Old Nectar website.
Writings about this entry