House Fitzpatrick - Clonave
Click to view map
This large house was built in 1910 for Sir James Percy Fitzpatrick, author of Jock of the Bushveld. The house was designed by WJ DE ZWAAN and was known originally as Clonave.
The name was changed to Bornstead when the Dowager Lady Albu moved there from Northwards in the 1930's. Bornstead was sited in Ubla Lane (an anagram of Albu).
Lady Albu removed a fireplace and two fine glazed wall cabinets (with curved fronts) from the Music Room at Northwards and duly installed them at Bornstead.
During a routine inspection of the house in the 1990's by the NMC's Plans Committee to scrutinise some proposed alterations to the house, Committee Member Andre van Graan fortunately recognised their pedigree and so began the process of trying to re-unite them with Northwards.
Ultimately Neil Viljoen and the Northwards Trust managed to purchase the fireplace and two cupboards. They were then carefully removed and re-instated in their original setting in the restored Music Room.
Bornstead currently accommodates the Central Johannesburg College as part of their Parktown Campus.
Flo Bird, Johannesburg Heritage Foundation, June 2016.
(Submitted by William MARTINSON)
Writings about this entry