Click to view large map
The property initially belonged to JHM Struben and was later owned by AH Nellmapius, Sammy Marks and SA Breweries before it was purchased by Peter Edwin Grant in 1903. Grant, a general dealer, erected the building to house his shop on ground level and living quarters on first level.
In 1920 Leendert te Groen, Dutch immigrant and cigarette manufacturer since 1899, purchased the building and converted it into a cigarette factory, occupying the first floor quarters with his family. After Te Groen's death in 1935 it became the property of the Union Government who over the years used it as a retail outlet, PWD storage depot, Pierneef museum, etc. It was restored in 1982 and is currently used as the Pretoria Bar Library.
The original red Kirkness bricks were plastered in c1920.
It is one of few remaining 'flat-above-store' buildings in Pretoria and is thus of typological importance.
(Paul VAN DER MERWE, 2015)