Mauritz Uys (Edms) Bpk
GH NÖTHLING: Architect
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
Mauritz Hendrik Jacobus Uys (1889-1958) worked in his brother-in-law's store, Mortimer en Hill in Wellington, before starting his own clothing store on these premises, selling mostly school uniforms. In 1948 the running of the store was taken over by his son Mauritz Hendrik Jacobus Uys Jr (1919-92) who sold it in 1983.
The double-storey five-bay building is on the corner of Auret and Main Streets with ground floor shops and first floor apartments. In 1930 Wynand Louw designed the shopfronts and added a verandah. The original columns (in line with the shopfronts) were then clad with mirrors.
In 1935 GH Nothling added the balcony which presumably replaced the roof of Louw’s verandah. A side balcony on Auret Street is supported on steel columns that are founded right on the kerb edge. The Wisnekowitz building originally stood on the spot where Auret Street enters Main Street but was demolished.
(Paul VAN DER MERWE, 2015)
Writings about this entry