Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

De Klein Konstantie
Paarl, Western Cape

Date:1841
Type:Homestead
Status:Extant

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
Alt: 153m

Note the oak trees in front of the house - they are remnants of "Buurmanslaan" (neighbours' lane), a shortcut road that connected the farmsteads and ran parallel to Main Road (which was originally a wagon route to the interior). See extract from Green.

The rectangular house has a central entrance hall evident from the lack of sidelights either side of the front door. The entrance hall was dictated by British taste, and indicates that the house was built after British occupation of the Cape. The Dutch windows (flush, small-paned) are replacements - British-era windows had larger window panes with slender mullions and were slightly recessed. The front has a simple Neoclassical gable with pilasters and triangular pediment.


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 259
Green, Lawrence George. 1957. Beyond the City Lights : the story of the Western Province : the towns and the farms, the life and the people, the folklore and the legends. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 34