Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

H Jones & Co
Paarl, Western Cape

Adriaan DE VILLIERS: Architect

Date:n.d. : 1939
Type:Factory and Offices
Style:Art Deco
Status:Extant

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
33°45'49.71" S 18°57'55.75" E Alt: 424m

The Australian company H Jones & Co was established in 1891 by Henry Jones (1862-1926) when he purchased George Peacock’s jam factory at which he had worked his way up from label sticker to factory foreman.

The wine industry experienced a slump during the early 1900s and many farmers started producing fruit instead. Some fruit farms in the Cape included, amongst others, Langeberg, Gants, Hugo’s and Rhodes Fruit Farms (est 1902). In 1910 Jones sent Howard Hope Just (1883-1945) to open a branch in South Africa and Just became its first managing director. The factory produced well-known brands like All Gold tomato sauce (launched 1908) and the Silver Leaf range of jams.

The original building, date and architect as yet unidentified, was built in the Victorian style. Additions were done in 1939 by DE VILLIERS (Albertyn:1992) in the Art Deco style.

Sources:

1. Drakenstein Heemkring Newsletter. October 2012.
2. Albertyn 1992:109-110

(Submitted by Paul VAN DER MERWE January 2016)


Writings about this entry

Albertyn, E. 1992. Die argitektuur van die Paarl tussen die twee Wêreldoorloë. Stellenbosch: University of Stellenbosch: Unpublished thesis. pg 109-110