Athlone Power Station
William John Henry (Gregs) GREGORY: Design Architect
CHRISTIANI and NIELSEN: Contractor
33°56'55.37" S 18°30'39.34" E Alt: 40m
|See more photographs|
The announcement by Escom in 1951 to terminate the electricity supply pooling agreement with the City of Cape Town required a new power station and since space in the city was at a premium the site adjacent the sewer works at Athlone was identified. The work was done under the headship of the electrical engineer, CG Downie (See Shorten, 1963: 308-309).
The Cooling Towers were demolished on 22 August 2010.