Click to view large map
In 1888 the South African Hotel and Tavern on the western side of Church Square next door to the Netherlands Bank, where the Capitol Theatre now stands, was converted to a theatre with room for 350, it was initially called The Alhambra Theatre. At some stage before 1897 the name was changed to the President Theatre and for a while was the only theatre in the city. The theatre was again renamed the Empress Theatre in 1903 and retained that name until 1910. It was demolished c1922.
Writings about this entry