Bloemhof Girls' School – Stellenbosch University Museum
Click to view map
The building in which the Stellenbosch University Museum is housed was erected in 1907 as Bloemhof Meisieskool (Bloemhof Girls' School). The architect FW Hesse designed the building in the Flemish Renaissance Revival style. It was a popular style in the second half of the 19th century which saw a global renewed interest in the Renaissance. Only a few examples of this style can be seen in South Africa. The exposed brickwork was a deep red. When the building was renovated in 1991, it was painted in a colour similar to that of the brickwork. White was also used to highlight detail in the building to achieve a polychromatic effect which emphasises the stylistic and structural elements of the style.
After 1960 the building housed the Laerskool Bloemhof (Bloemhof Primary School), and thereafter Laerskool Eikestad (Eikestad Primary School). In 1986 Stellenbosch University purchased the building. It was put to diverse uses for approximately three years. In 1989, thanks to a substantial financial contribution by Sasol, renovations started to convert it into a university museum. The renovated complex which for a time was known as the Sasol Arts Museum, was officially opened on 3 October 1991. The museum now houses a number of art collections as well as a cultural-historical and anthropological collection.
(Stellenbosch University Museum. Accessed 2019 05 02)
Transcript of the National Monuments Council plaque:
Writings about this entry