As early as 1917, members of the Gereformeerde Kerk attended services in neighbouring towns. They were Afrikaners who came to work on the mines. Parish Life started with a Minister and congregation on 15 May 1935. Two stands, No 342 and 344 were obtained on the corner of Bunyan and Victoria Roads where a first Church building was inaugurated on 18 June 1938 at a cost of £3 457.00.
The first church building on the corner of Bunyan & Victoria Roads was demolished in 1991 to make space for a Shopping Centre and a new building with modern facilities was inaugurated on 15 April 1993 on the corner of Genevieve and Daffodil Streets in Farrarmere, Benoni.
(Morné van Rooyen, July 2015)
The architects were very probably GEERS & GEERS.
Writings about this entry