Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Wrensch House
Observatory, Cape Town, Western Cape

Date:n.d.
Type:Farmhouse
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

33°56'23.56" S 18°28'26.66" E Alt: 10m
Click on map for Google Maps

Wrensch House stands on a property once called Onderneming, originally part of Coornhoop.

Transcript of National Monuments Council plaque:

Wrensch House

The land on which this house stands dates back to the earliest
grants of land by Jan van Riebeeck along the Liesbeeck River.
This property formed part of the Coornhoop farm from 1741 to
its subdivision in 1785 when it came into the possession of
G Roussouw who called it Onderneeming. A part of the house
dates to before 1741. The present house is a good example
of an earlier dwelling, improved and enlarged in the Georgian
Period, yet still retaining the idiom of the 18th century Cape
Dutch style. In 1853 the property was acquired by J C Wrensch
after whom it was named.

Proclaimed 1981 Geproklameer

Hierdie huis is geleë op ‘n terrein wat deel was van Jan van
Riebeeck se vroeëre grondtoekennings langs die Liesbeeckrivier.
Die eiendom het van 1741 tot die onderverdeling daarvan in 1785
deel gevorm van die plaas Coornhoop. Dit het toe in besit van
G Rossouw gekom wat dit Onderneeming genoem het. ‘n Deel van
die huis dateer uit die tydperk voor 1741. Die huidige huis is 'n
goeie voorbeeld van 'n ouer woning wat in die Georgiaanse era
verbeter en vergroot is, maar wat nog die idioom van die 18de
eeuse Kaaps-Hollandse styl behou het. Die eiendom is in 1853
deur J C Wrensch bekom na wie dit genoem is.

National Monuments Council
Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede

(Submitted by Lila Komnick)

See SAHRIS entry.


Writings about this entry

Hislop, Jim. 2014. Wheatfields & windmills : the old homesteads and farms of Observatory and surrounds : Cape Town. Cape Town: Unidentified. pg 42-49